We also recommend trying:
Spicy Apple Parsnip Snack Cake
This cake, similar in texture to carrot cake, is moist and delicious.
- 375 mL (1½ cups) all purpose flour
- 125 mL (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) ground ginger
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- 7.5 mL (1½ tsp) cinnamon
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) nutmeg
- 5 mL (1 tsp) allspice
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 125 mL (½ cup) canola oil
- 125 mL (½ cup) 2% milk
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 250 mL (1 cup) apple, peeled and grated
- 250 mL (1 cup) parsnip, peeled and grated
- 125 mL (½ cup) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking oil spray (or coat lightly with butter and flour).
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just to combine, being careful not to over-mix. Stir in apple, parsnip and walnuts (if using).
- Pour batter into pan (it will be thick) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until fork inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake on rack.
- Serve cake plain, with a sprinkle of icing sugar or a cream-cheese style icing of your choice.